Updated as at: May 2018
Collection and Use of Personal Data
We collect and retain your personal data when:
- it is provided to us voluntarily as part of the retail and provision of electricity and related services after (i) you have been notified of the purposes for which the data is collected, and (ii) you have provided written consent to the collection of your personal data for those purposes; and
- your consent to said collection of your personal data is deemed to be given, and/or collection of your personal data without consent is permitted or required under the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (“PDPA“) or other laws.
You may be asked to provide your personal data (including but not limited to your name, address, contact details, designation, email or enquiry correspondences) when:
- contracting into an electricity agreement when purchasing electricity from us, through our website, our self-service portal or mobile application, or in respect of non-residential consumers, by way of a quotation by our representatives; or
- using our website, self-service portal, mobile application, or at any time when you are in contact with Union Power or our affiliated
Apart from any other permissible circumstance under any applicable laws or regulations, we may collect and use your personal data for the purpose of:
- providing and billing for the electricity retailed to you, or performing any other obligations in the course of our provision of the goods and/or services under the electricity agreement;
- verifying your identity;
- processing payment or credit transactions;
- maintaining and operating our customer management systems;
- complying with any applicable laws, regulations, codes of practice, guidelines, or rules, or rendering assistance to any law enforcement and investigations conducted by any governmental and/or regulatory authority;
- researching and developing our products and/or services with respect to retailing electricity;
- analysing customer preferences and demographics;
- maintaining, managing and supporting your customer relationship with us, including responding to, handling and processing queries, requests, complaints and feedback from you;
- marketing (whether by way of telemarketing, door-to-door marketing, emails, or otherwise), distribution of promotional materials or marketing materials, and communicating with you in relation to product and/or services offered by Union Power, its affiliated companies or its appointed service partners, to the extent that such marketing or communication is not in contravention of the Code of Conduct for Retail Electricity Licensees, the PDPA, or other applicable laws or regulations;
- transmitting to any unaffiliated third parties including our third party service providers and agents, and relevant governmental and/or regulatory authorities, whether in Singapore or abroad, for the aforementioned purposes (including without limitation the market support services licensee, the transmission licensee, or our marketing agents); and
- any other incidental business purposes related to or in connection with the above.
Disclosure of Personal Data
Apart from any other permissible circumstance under any applicable laws or regulations, we may disclose your personal data:
- where such personal data has been sufficiently aggregated such that you cannot be identified from said aggregated data;
- for the purpose of transmitting said personal data to the market support services licensee to facilitate the implementation of the Retailer of Last Resort Framework;
- where such disclosure is required for providing and billing for the electricity retailed to you, or performing any other obligations in the course of our provision of the goods and/or services under the electricity agreement;
- for the purpose of facilitating the operations of the retail electricity market;
- for the purpose of consolidated billing, where required by the transmission licensee or the market support services licensee; and
- to third party service providers, agents, and other organisation we have engaged to perform any of the functions listed above for us.
The purposes listed in the above clauses may continue to apply even in situations where your relationship with us has been terminated or altered in any way, for a reasonable period thereafter (including, where applicable, a period to enable us to enforce our rights under any contract with you).
Protection of Personal Data
We may transfer, store, process and/or deal with your personal data outside Singapore. In doing so, we will comply with the PDPA and other applicable data protection and privacy laws.
Withdrawing Your Consent
Until such time we receive such a request, the consent that you have provided for the collection, use and disclosure of your personal data will remain valid. Upon receipt of your written request to withdraw your consent, we may require reasonable time for your request to be processed and to notify you of the consequences of us acceding to the same, including any legal consequences which may affect your rights and liabilities to us.
Please note that depending on the nature of your request, we may not be able to continue providing or billing for the electricity retailed to you, or performing our obligations under the electricity agreement. In such a circumstance, we will endeavour to notify you before completing the processing of your request.
Access to and Correction of Personal Data
If you wish to make (a) an access request for access to a copy of the personal data which we hold about you or information about the ways in which we use or disclose your personal data, or (b) a correction request to correct or update any of your personal data which we hold about you, you may submit your request in writing or via email to our Data Protection Officer at the contact details provided below.
Please note that a reasonable fee may be charged for an access request. If so, we will inform you of the fee before processing your request.
Accuracy of your Personal Data
We generally rely on your personal data and the information provided by you to effectively and efficiently execute our duties to and for you. To ensure that your personal data is current, please update us if there have been any changes since. This can be done by informing our Data Protection Officer with the contact details provided below.
Retention of your Personal Data
We may retain your personal data for as long as is necessary for us to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected, or as required by the applicable laws. As soon as it is reasonable to assume that such retention no longer serves its purpose, and it is no longer necessary for legal or business purposes, we will cease to retain your personal data, by physical destruction and electronic destruction.
Data Protection Officer
Email Address: email@example.com